26 September 2017
Charities measure their impact to make sure every pound they invest in medical research counts.
Quality and standards
- Measuring impact allows charities to understand what is working and informs future research strategy.
- AMRC members use a variety of tools to assess and demonstrate their impact, including retrospective analysis, quinquennial reviews, case studies.
- Mid-sized and small AMRC member charities are able to use the Researchfish evaluation system at no cost for up to three years.
Data and impact
- 40 AMRC members are currently using Researchfish, an online evaluation tool to measure impact.
- From 2014, universities were assessed on the impact of their research in the Research Excellence Framework (REF). Analysis showed the societal impact of research from UK universities was considerable, and diverse
- MRC researchers reported getting 37% of their further funding from charities
- An AMRC infographics sheet highlights the importance of charities to the UK medical research sector