14 December 2015
Research governance describes all the activities that research funders, researchers, and institutions should be aware of, to ensure that research is carried out to the highest standards, and so provides valid information.
- All medical research must be conducted to the relevant national and European legal standards.
- Our members comply with UK regulation, support the principle of the 3Rs, and are working together to exceed the regulatory requirements to improve animal welfare and science.
- AMRC is a supporter of the concordat to support research integrity.
Quality and standards
- An AMRC Animal Research Working Group is developing standards to ensure our members only fund animal research of the highest quality.
- All studies involving patients require ethical approval, which is monitored by the Health Research Authority.
- AMRC supports a joint statement welcoming the proposal for a Clinical Trials Regulation to replace the EU Clinical Trials Directive.
- AMRC members all require the researchers they fund to publish research findings once they are completed.
Data and impact
- The Home Office publishes statistics on the number of animals used in scientific procedures.