21 June 2013
AMRC members fund about a third of all clinical research in the NHS.
- AMRC members fund only direct clincial research costs, with infrastructure funded by the Department of Health under AcoRD.
- The NHS England Mandate requires the NHS to pay the excess treatment costs associated with research.
- AMRC supports the All Trials Registered, All Trials Reported campaign, and the need for all clinical trials to be published, even if the results are unclear.
Quality and standards
- All AMRC charities that fund in open competition can be NIHR partners, with clinical research on the NIHR portfolio, and eligible for AcoRD funding.
- All studies involving patients require ethical approval, which is monitored by the Health Research Authority.
- AMRC supports a joint statement welcoming the proposal for a Clinical Trials Regulation to replace the EU Clinical Trials Directive.
Data and impact
- 77 charities are funding research in the NHS, making up 30% of non-commercial research funded on the NIHR portfolio in 2014.
- Our member profiles indicate whether a charity's funding is eligible for AcoRD.